I refer to the documents published by NHS England entitled “Next steps on the NHS five year forward view” dated March 2017 and the “Five year forward view” dated October 2015. I note the references to Sustainability and Transformation Plans, “Footprint” areas, Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships, Accountable Care Systems and Accountable Care Organisations in those documents. I write to request the following information (including copies of any documents relating to the following things), in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000:
1. What steps, if any, your organisation has taken to implement a:
· Sustainability and Transformation Plan
· Sustainability and Transformation Partnership /Accountable Care System / Accountable Care Organisation;
Over the course of the last year Calderdale CCG has participated in the development of the West Yorkshire and Harrogate Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) alongside other NHS and local government organisations, the local voluntary sector and local Healthwatch. The West Yorkshire STP is comprised of local place based plans and themed activities that are applicable across the West Yorkshire and Harrogate area. The local plan for Calderdale is owned by the Calderdale Health and Wellbeing Board (HWB) and much of its content predates the emergence of STPs. The Single Plan for Calderdale is available at https://www.calderdaleccg.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/STP-A-Plan-Calderdale-final-1.pdf. The definition of the geographical footprint for the West Yorkshire and Harrogate STP was not a decision for the Calderdale CCG to take. We understand references in the Five Year Forward View to a Sustainability and Transformation Partnership relate to the ongoing collaborative delivery and implementation of Sustainability and Transformation Plans. Therefore, through continued participation in the West Yorkshire and Harrogate STP and through the delivery of the Single Plan for Calderdale, the CCG is in effect a participant in the West Yorkshire and Harrogate Sustainability and Transformation Partnership. Within the STP footprint, the CCGs have formed a joint committee to facilitate shared decision making where appropriate, for example, on specialist services. The STP has a leadership forum which includes senior officers from partner organisations and Healthwatch representatives. Calderdale CCG has started to explore with partners whether the concept of accountable care can help achieve better health outcomes, better care and better use of resources for the people of Calderdale. No decision to implement such an approach has been taken. The CCG Governing Body has been discussing this in the context of the requirement to ensure effective integration of health and social care by 2020. At this stage the CCG has been gathering intelligence on the different models available and the work being tested in Calderdale as part of the Calderdale vanguard.
2. What plans you have to implement any or all of the above and the proposed timescale for doing so and decision-making processes to be followed in doing so.
Please refer to the Single Plan for Calderdale and the West Yorkshire STP which can be found here: https://www.calderdaleccg.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/STP-A-Plan-Calderdale-final-1.pdf. http://www.southwestyorkshire.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Final-draft-submission-plan.pdf
In relation to Accountable Care Organisations / Systems, the CCG is currently working with partners to explore the idea of accountable care and to develop an understanding across the system about whether such a concept might help us to deliver something better for the people we serve.
3. Any documentation or instruction that you have received from NHS England describing the action your organisation is required to take, or may take, to establish the above organisations and/or otherwise to implement the new care models described in the Next steps on the NHS five year forward view and the Five year forward view.
- NHS Mandate
- Five Year Forward View and ‘Next Steps’
- NHS Planning Guidance
These documents are publically available. The CCG has not received any further instructions or requirements from NHS England.
4. An explanation of the legal and organisational nature of the governance arrangements for the “footprint”, as described in the Next steps on the NHS five year forward view and the Five year forward view, of which your organisation is part.
The individual organisations that are part of the STP approach will still use their own individual legal and decision making process where this is required. The 5 year forward view refresh has indicated a preference for a more formal governance structure for STP footprints, but this has not yet been considered for the West Yorkshire & Harrogate STP. Within the STP footprint, the CCGs have formed a joint committee to facilitate shared decision making where appropriate, for example, on specialist services, and the Acute Trusts have formed a committee in common to make joint decisions on issues such as shared back office services. The STP has a leadership forum which includes senior officers from the partner organisations and Healthwatch representatives.
5. Your organisation’s understanding of the consequences if it does not implement a Sustainability and Transformation Plan, a Sustainability and Transformation Partnership, an Accountable Care System, an Accountable Care Organisation and/or any of the other new care models described in the Next steps on the NHS five year forward view and the Five year forward view, and the documents on which that understanding is based.
I can confirm that NHS Calderdale CCG does not hold information in our records relating to the question you raise. The Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) gives rights of public access to information held (written down/electronic) by public authorities.