1. Advise the total number of caesarean sections you have paid for in the year April 16 – April 17. We would like you to provide a breakdown of the number of unplanned caesareans and the number of planned caesareans- both the actual number and the percentage of overall total births. In addition please provide any additional information/categorization of the reasons recorded for the planned caesareans. (We would like to find out how many planned caesareans were carried out primarily for a psychological reason and how many planned caesareans were carried out with no obstetric, medical or significant psychological reason)
Calderdale Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) does not hold information on circumstances why caesareans were carried out. Below are the total number of caesarean sections undertaken in the financial year 2016-17.
Total Number of Caesarean Deliveries was 573; this represents 24.2% of total births. This is broken down as follows:-
• Planned Caesarean Deliveries 229
• Emergency Caesarean Deliveries 344
2. Are there any circumstances in which you as a CCG would refuse to fund a caesarean section? If so please specify what these circumstances are.
Calderdale CCG funds activity which is clinically appropriate. Should a request be made for a procedure that is not covered by national guidelines, this would be considered through our IFR process.
3. What guideline or policy do you have in place with your providers on how they should deal with maternal request Caesarean sections? If one is in place please provide us with a copy.
All NHS Providers are expected to follow NICE Guidance with regard to decisions on whether or not a Caesarean section is clinically appropriate. Calderdale CCG has no separate policies in place.