I would like to request around your local commissioning guidelines for septorhinoplasty ad rhinoplasty. I would be grateful if you could provide me with the information for the following four questions.
What are your local CCG commissioning criteria for Rhinoplasty and/or Septorhinoplasty?
The CCG applies the following criteria:
SURGERY TO RESHAPE THE NOSE – (RHINOPLASTY)
Rhinoplasty should be available on the NHS for:
• Problems caused by obstruction of the nasal airway
• Objective nasal deformity caused by trauma
• Correction of complex congenital conditions e.g. Cleft lip and palette
Patients with isolated airway problems (in the absence of visible nasal deformity) may be referred initially to an Ear, Nose and Throat Consultant for assessment and treatment.
Commissioning of the above is subject to the CCG’s Individual Funding Request Policy, processes and procedures (currently under review).
2. Do you currently authorise nasal surgery for post-traumatic cosmetic defects without nasal obstruction?
Please see the criteria above in response to Question1.
3. Do you stipulate a minimum or maximum time limit between nasal injury and assessment for rhinoplasty in order to agree funding (and if so, what is the limit)?
There is no time limit set currently.
4. Do you require an assessment of the severity of cosmetic defect prior to agreeing the funding for Rhinoplasty (and if so, what assessment is needed)?
A referring clinical opinion would be required as part of consideration of the individual request for funding. The CCG may specifically request an opinion from an ENT Specialist where appropriate.