1. Please can you advise me if your CCG is planning to commission one or more Hyper Acute Stroke Units (HASU) for your patients?
NHS Calderdale CCG is working with key stakeholders in the West Yorkshire and Harrogate Health and Care Partnership (WY&H HCP) Stroke Programme to look at how we:
- prevent strokes happening across the area;
- deliver effective care when people have a stroke; and
- ensure there is good support and rehabilitation for people after a stroke.
The focus of this work over the past fourteen months has been on improving ‘hyper acute’ stroke and ‘acute’ stroke services (hyper-acute refers to the first few hours and days after the stroke occurs) and making sure all stroke care services are ‘fit for the future’. This is one of the priority areas of work highlighted in the draft West Yorkshire and Harrogate Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP).
Out Local Provider currently has a HASU.
2. Has a business case been prepared for HASUs in your area? If so, please list any organisations who were paid to support the preparation of the business case and how much they were paid?
The West Yorkshire and Harrogate Stroke Programme are using evidence from the Stroke Strategic Case for Change and engagement that has taken place across the West Yorkshire and Harrogate area to support this work. The next phase of the work will be to develop a business case which will inform discussions with key stakeholders as part of the NHS England Stage 2 Assurance process.
3. Please can you send me a copy of the business case?
This will be available on the West Yorkshire and Harrogate Health and Care Partnership website following approval.
4. If you already have one or more HASUs in place, please can you send me any internal or external evaluations that have taken place?
West Yorkshire and Harrogate has five HASUs:
- Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – Bradford Royal Infirmary;
- Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust – Calderdale Royal Hospital;
- Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust;
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust – Leeds General Infirmary; and
- Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trusts – Pinderfields Hospital.
A Strategic Case for Change was developed and has been published on the West Yorkshire and Harrogate STP web site:
Before the publication of the Strategic Case for Change, the Yorkshire and Humber Strategic Clinical Networks published the Hyper Acute Stroke Services Yorkshire and the Humber ‘Blueprint’ for Yorkshire and the Humber Clinical Commissioning Groups. This is available from their website:
We have also engaged with people, including those who have experienced a stroke, carers and community organisations. You can read the findings in our reports at
For local evaluation please approach Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust at FOI@CHFT.nhs.uk